The neo-classical style structure is made of stone and masonry and consists of a one-story rectangular building with a cylindrical tower 10 meters (33 feet) tall, attached to the rear wall. The facades are simple, with double windows made of wood, and are joined by a cornice. The building still has the original flat roof of bricks and beams. A forged iron stairway leads to the upper part of the tower where the original octagonal lantern, which was built in 1888, is still working. An automatic illumination system was installed in 1962.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of properties, National Register of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governorgovernor: in the Spanish colonies, the governor was the figure immediately beneath the viceroy in political and legal affairs. Like the alcaldes mayores, the governors could not be vecinos, encomenderos or owners of land or mines in the jurisdiction. When the title was added to that of Captain General, the position also implied the highest military authority. Governorships were applied to sparsely populated colonies or frontier zones. Puerto Rico was a frontier zone., 1995.
The Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico, 1846-1979. Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica, Oficina del Gobernador 1995.
Sánchez Terry, Miguel Angel. Los faros españoles de ultramar, Madrid: Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transporte, Centro de Publicaciones, 1992.
Autor: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: January 12, 2010.