The structure, built in neo-classical style, has an octagonal tower located in the center of the rectangular building. Like the majority of the Puerto Rican lighthouses built by the Spanish government, the structure has two bedrooms divided by a vestibule. The cylindrical lantern was made of forged iron, copper, and glass and projected a white light that rotated each six minutes. A forged iron balustrade surrounded the exterior gallery of the tower.
The lighthouse was in use until 1926, when it was abandoned. Today, it is in very poor condition.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: The Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico, 1846-1979. State Office of Historic Conservation.
The Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico, 1846-1979. Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica, Oficina del Gobernador 1995.
Sánchez Terry, Miguel Angel. Los faros españoles de ultramar, Madrid: Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transporte, Centro de Publicaciones, 1992.
Autor: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: December 30, 2009.