The Spanish Royal Corps of Engineers was in charge of the construction of the structure, which dates to 1897. The hospital services were primarily for the military personnel located in the region, but in cases of emergencies or natural disasters civilians were also treated.
The former hospital's architectural style is neo-classical, which was common in San Juan but not in the southern region. In 1905, the state government began to use the hospital as a home for the blind, where they were taught how to function as independent citizens. Permanent residency was provided to those who could not care for themselves.
The home continued to offer services until the middle of the 1970s, when it ceased operations. Today, the structure is in ruins. Since 1987, it has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of Properties, National Register of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governor, 1995.
Autor: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: January 08, 2010.